A delicate and fresh tasting stir fry made in the Bengali style of cooking, pairing kabocha with fresh fenugreek and coconut.
Kabocha Squash With Fresh Fenugreek and Coconut [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons oil (preferably mustard oil)
- 1 teaspoon panchphoron (Bengali Five Spice)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 cups of cubed kabocha squash (about ¾ pound, half a medium sized squash)
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 11/2 cups of chopped fresh fenugreek
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- Heat the oil for a minute or two and add in the panchphoron. After the spice crackles, add in the onion and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in cubed kabocha squash and mix well. Stir in the red cayenne pepper, cumin and salt and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover and let the squash steam cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, the squash should be fork tender at this point, add in the fenugreek and the greens wilt (this should take about a minute or so). Stir well. Add in the grated coconut and mix well. Cook for another minute and serve.