Nasty weather calls for making soup. I cooked up these Jerusalem artichokes I had at home, together with a massive yellow/white onion which needed using. I made a big batch, enough to also last for the kid’s dinner. I added a little truffle oil and voila, just like that, a rainy ordinary day feels almost….luxurious.
Jerusalem Artichoke Soup With Truffle Oil [Vegan]
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 small Jerusalem artichokes, carefully washed and chopped
- 1 large white onion (or two small ones), chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Leaves from 5 stems of thyme
- 1 tbsp organice vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- 4 tbsp soya cooking cream (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Add to a large pot the olive oil, Jerusalem artichokes, onions, garlic and thyme. Fry on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onions turn golden.
- Add half of the water and bring to boil. Using a hand blender, puree it all together.
- Add the remaining water, the white wine, the truffle oil and the soya cooking cream and boil on low heat for five to six minutes. Then taste and adjust the seasoning - perhaps you want to add more truffle oil, more vegetable stock, a little salt or more wine.
- Garnish with a little thyme before serving. This soup works well on its own, but is even better with your favourite gluten free crackers or bread.