These jalapeno zucchini fritters are full of delicious flavors like cilantro, lime, jalapeno, and nutritional yeast. The spice from the jalapeno is perfectly balanced out by the vegan avocado crema. Flavorful with a spicy kick and crispy on the outside with a soft center, these are bomb. For a surefire crowd pleaser, include these jalapeno zucchini fritters at your next get together. They’re a fun and delicious appetizer!
Jalapeño Zucchini Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Fritters:
- 3-4 medium size zucchini, grated
- 3 jalapeno diced
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 teaspoon Spanish spice blend
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegan egg replacer
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for the pan
For the Avocado Cream:
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup spinach,chopped
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
To Make the Fritters:
- Grate zucchini, sprinkle with salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Make the vegan egg, stir, combine, should have a semi-thick consistency. Take a cheese cloth or mesh nut milk bag and place zucchini in it and squeeze out the excess water. There should be at least 1 cup of water removed. Once the zucchini is drained, place in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine. The consistency should be thick not soupy.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium size pan on medium-high heat, and form the mixture into a patty. The patty should sizzle, you want it hot. The hotter it is the crispier they are. Also, the thicker you make the patty the longer it will take to cook and the more likely it can get soggy. Let it cook on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip. Transfer the zucchini fritters to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle them with salt.
- Repeat the scooping and cooking process with the remaining zucchini mixture. If they still seem soggy, throw them in the oven for 10 minutes on 350°F, this will drain the liquid and give them a crisp edge.
To Make the Avocado Cream:
- Place everything in a food processor, avocado and spinach first, then everything else. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Top the patties with avocado cream, cilantro, and serve immediately.