This has a similar texture to soft goat cheese. Full disclosure here: you’re not going to “trick” anyone into thinking this is real cheese but it tastes great and will make a lovely stand in for cheese and crackers. You could also use it as a yummy veggie dip, on pizzas, drizzled over roasted veggies like broccoli, veggie nachos, on sandwiches, etc. I added jalapeño and LOTS of black pepper to make it pop and it turned out great!
Jalapeño Cashew Cheese [Vegan, Raw]
- 1.5 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste, I used about a 1/2 teaspoon of each
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Taste, and add more water and spice as needed.
- You can also use a food processor and combine all ingredients until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Use a spatula to transfer to a small plate or bowl. I used a small springform cake pan to mold it into a circle and then sprinkled it generously with fresh cracked pepper. I think it would have looked better with a coarser cracked pepper than I used or red pepper flakes would have been really pretty! Then refrigerate for an hour to set the shape. Keep in mind that it will be soft at room temp and firm when cold.
- You could also add a bit more water and use this as an Alfredo sauce alternative (simply omit the jalapeño if you don’t want it to be spicy).