These simple, yet tasty black bean patties are the perfect solution to storebought patties. Made with affordable ingredients like black beans, oats, and spices, you can double the batch and freeze them to save time on busy days. The flavor of black beans paired with the cool, crisp Mexican coleslaw makes for an excellent combination of flavors. You can eat these tasty patties on a bun, with some tortilla chips, or on a bed of the slaw.
Jalapeño Black Bean Patties With Mexican Coleslaw [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Patties:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 jalapeño, de-seeded, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oats, pulsed into flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, coriander, and oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste)
For the Slaw:
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 ears corn, charred on grill
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons chipotle adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin and chili powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Make the Patties:
- Place jalapeño, red onion, and garlic in a small skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Cook until the onion begins to turn translucent (about 5 minutes) just to take the edge off of the flavors.
- Dump all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth. Having some whole beans is totally fine!
- Place mixture into a bowl and let set in fridge for about 15 minutes (can prep slaw during this time)
- After mixture has set, divide into 4 patties and place on a lightly greased skillet to sear each side.
To Make the Slaw:
- Make the dressing: mix the mayo, chipotle adobo sauce, spices, lime, and salt and pepper in a bowl. You can add a tablespoon of water if you want to dilute. Mix well and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, red pepper, onion, corn, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro.
- Top with dressing and mix well! Adjust seasoning as needed.