This hearty soup will transport your taste buds to the rustic Italian countryside. The savory tomato broth is well spiced and filled with delicious quinoa and lentil "meatballs" that make the soup as filling as it is tasty.
Italian Meatball Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Meatballs:
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, fresh
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and the chopped onions and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the onion to a large bowl along with remaining "meatball" ingredients. Mix and mash them until they're combined. Roll into 1-2 tablespoon-sized "meatballs".
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake them for 20-25 minutes or until slightly crisp on the outside.
- While the "meatballs" are cooking, heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and celery.
- Once the potatoes and carrots have softened, stir in the broth, tomatoes, seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook it for 20 minutes or until potatoes have softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with more fresh parsley and 3-4 meatballs.