This hearty stew is packed with tons of umami flavor thanks to the rich flavors of mushrooms, miso, and tomato paste. But what makes this meal special is a generous glug of lager!
Irish Vegetable Lager Stew [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces button or shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium leek, white part only, diced (1 cup)
- 3 small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup barley
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, tied in bundle, plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup lager beer (you can check if it's vegan online)
- 1 tablespoon white miso (mixed in a small bowl with a tablespoon of water to make a paste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté eight minutes, or until mushrooms are browned.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pot. Add leek, and cook five minutes. Add potatoes, carrots, and tomato paste. Cook two minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, barley, cabbage and thyme sprigs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lager and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat, stir in miso paste. Remove bundled thyme and stir in chopped thyme and parsley, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Grains - Other
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile