Sweet and smokey meets the ever-versatile seitan in this delicious shredded BBQ dish. Bottled barbecue sauce will work just as well as the do-it-yourself option mentioned in Step 5 of this recipe; as always, if you do opt for store-bought just make sure it’s vegan — most brands are vegan-friendly, but in the ones that aren’t, honey is usually the disqualifying additive.
Instant Pot Shredded BBQ Seitan [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 3/4 cups cold water, as needed
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black
- Place the whole-wheat and unbleached flour in a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine. While stirring, gradually pour enough water into the flour to form a sticky dough that can be kneaded. Knead 15 minutes. Cover the dough with cold water, place in the refrigerator, and keep submerged at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a colander and place it in the sink. Under cold running water, carefully knead the dough, rinsing out the starch and bran. After several minutes of cold water rinsing and kneading, the gluten will start to stick together. Alternate between room-temperature water and cold-water rinses while continuing to knead the dough until it has a firm, rubbery texture.
- Pour the broth into the Instant Pot™. Tear pieces of the dough and form into 1-inch balls (about the size of a ping pong ball). Drop the dough into the liquid one piece at a time, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking
- Lock the lid into place. Press the Manual button and adjust the timer to 20 minutes. When the timer beeps, quick-release pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid. Remove the seitan, and drain the liquid.
- Press the Sauté button on the pot and adjust temperature to Low. Add the mustard, sugars, vinegar, chili powder, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, vegan margarine, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper to the pot, and stir constantly.
- Shred the seitan by hand or with a knife and add to the prepared barbecue sauce. Let simmer about 5–7 minutes. Serve.