This is one of those secretly good-for-you recipes that everyone loves to eat, without realizing it’s actually a nutritional powerhouse. Protein-rich quinoa, fiber-filled chickpeas, heart-healthy sweet potatoes and superfood kale are simmered in a delicious broth infused with ginger, garlic and garam masala— the quintessential Indian spice blend. It’s insanely easy and so good.
Indian-Spiced Sweet Potato Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon (5 g) garam masala
- 2 (15.5-oz [439-g]) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups (944 ml) vegetable broth
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (170 g) dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups (134 g) chopped kale
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger paste and garam masala. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the quinoa. Reduce the heat and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Add the kale and cook for 2 minutes, until wilted.
Note: This stew works equally well with rice or lentils in place of the quinoa. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.