This recipe is super quick, super yummy, and super flavorful because it packs in a triple threat of cauliflower, lentils, and kale. What more could you want in a meal? All of the bright, fresh flavors come shining through without any added oils, making this a healthy and lighter alternative to heavier stews. Make a ton and eat it throughout the week for easy dinners.
Indian Cauliflower and Lentil Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free]
- 2 cups red lentils
- 5 cups cauliflower cut into florets (about half a head of cauliflower)
- 2 cups red onion
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea or kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 1/2 cups water (or more if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk (1 can) – or you can use almond milk heated with 1 tablespoon cornstarch, tapioca, or arrowroot to thicken, if wanting a lower fat alternative
- 4-5 cups chopped kale (I used Tuscan, but any variety of greens will work)
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Place spices and onion into a large pot. Sauté by adding a few tablespoons of water into pan, and onions are softened.
- Add in red lentils, cauliflower, and water and cook until red lentils have creamed out and cauliflower has softened. About 15 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk (or thickened almond milk), and stir in kale, parsley, and lemon juice.
- Serve over rice with additional parsley and fresh sprouts if desired.
- Thickens as it sits the next day. Enjoy thick like a stew, or thin it out with additional water if you prefer it more like a daal.