A slow or pressure cooked super simple version of pinto beans. Pinto beans are very common in Mexican cuisine. They are the beans that make "rice and beans" shine. Cooked simply, these beans taste magical with rice.
How to Make Slow Cooker Spicy Pinto Beans
- 1 cup of pinto beans (soaked overnight)
- 21/2 cups of water for the slow cooker and 11/2 cups of water for the pressure cooker
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bunch of scallion, chopped whites and greens separated
- 1 lime or lemon
- Place the beans in the slow cooker, with the onion, cayenne pepper and the salt and cook on high for 6 hours. Alternately place in the pressure cooker and cook for 25 minutes.
- Heat the oil and add in the cumin seeds and the scallions whites and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour in the beans and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the scallion greens and squeeze in the lemon or lime and yes, just like that you have dinner.
- Beans - Red
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 308 | Total Carbs: 55 g | Total Fat: 14 g | Total Protein: 13 g | Total Sodium: 40 g | Total Sugar: 12 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
YUM just made a batch with green chilis and jalapeno’s for taco night every week – I turn them into refried beans! ,,mmm
I do the curry version of this with red kidney beans.
Looks so good right now