I like to serve these sliders with – of course – oven-baked fries. You might even try dipping the fries in the Smoky Lemon Aioli Sauce!
Hoppin’ John Sliders With Smoky Lemon Aioli Sauce and Sautéed Greens [Vegan]
For the Hoppin' John:
- 1 small onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 rib celery, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 mushrooms, stemmed and cut in half (or use cooked brown rice for a more traditional take; about 1 cup)
- 1 spicy chipotle vegan sausage, cut into chunks
- 2 cups cooked black eyed peas or 1 15.5-ounce can of black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 1/2 cups steamed greens
- 10 slider buns/rolls
For the Smoky Lemon Aioli:
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for a few hours, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup non-dairy plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch sea salt
To Make the Hoppin' John:
- Place the onion, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms, and vegan sausage in the bowl of a food processor. (*If using brown rice in place of mushrooms, do not add to the food processor. Stir into the mixture whole.) Pulse until the ingredients are broken down into small pieces. Add the black eyed peas and the parsley and pulse a few times. Pour the mixture into a skillet and stir in the nutritional yeast, thyme, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Add a splash of Bragg Liquid Aminos, water, or vegetable broth and sauté until the veggies are tender. Set aside to cool.
- Put the Liquid smoke and maple syrup in a large bowl. Add the cooled vegetable mixture and the flaxseed meal and stir until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate the mixture for several hours so that it firms up.
- Heat a pan or large electric skillet and lightly spritz with cooking oil. Using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop up the mixture, pat down, and than gently tap the patty into the palm of your hand. Add the patty to the hot skillet and continue forming the remaining mixture. Cook sliders for about 5 minutes or until browned, then carefully turn to brown the other side.
- To make the greens, sauté fresh kale and spinach in a splash of vegetable broth and/or liquid aminos until tender. Add minced garlic and black pepper and continued to sauté for a few more minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- To make the sandwiches, split the rolls and lightly toast. Schmear one side of each roll with Smoky Lemon Aioli Sauce and place a slider on top; load about 1/4 cup of greens onto the slider and top with the other half of the roll.
To Make Smoky Lemon Aioli:
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed or regular blender and process until very smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. This will firm up as it sits.