This recipe comes in handy when you can't find vanilla in stores or if you're curious how to make your own.
Homemade Vanilla Extract [Vegan]
- 1 750ml bottle of vodka, bourbon or rum
- 12 whole vanilla beans
- Pour out 1 cup of the vodka or bourbon from the bottle and store in a resealable container.
- Slice each vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Using the tip of your knife, carefully scrape all of the vanilla seeds from the bean and add it to the bottle of vodka. Place the entire vanilla bean in the bottle. Repeat this for all of the bean pods and make sure that the alcohol covers all of the bean pods.
- Close the bottle and store in a dark place at room temperature for at least two months. The longer you let the beans sit, the better the vanilla tastes.
- Use in any recipe that calls for vanilla extract.
You can leave the vanilla beans in the bottle and as you use the vanilla extract, refill the bottle with the alcohol you originally removed from the bottle and let it sit to continue making more vanilla.