These dumplings are chewy, tasty, and all-around wonderful. The smoothness of the spinach filling works wonderfully with the slight crunch of the water chestnuts. Add a spicy sriracha sauce sweetened with coconut sugar and sprinkled with chopped peanuts, and enjoy.
Homemade Dumplings With Peanut Chili Sauce [Vegan]
For the Dumpling Dough:
- 1 1/2 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Cornflour, for dusting
For the Filling:
- 3 cups English spinach
- 1 ounce chives or a loose handful
- 1 cup canned water chestnuts, drained
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
For the Peanut Chili Sauce:
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
To Make the Dough:
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well.
- Add the boiling water slowly, mixing the batter with chopsticks to distribute
- Using clean hands, bring the flour and water together into a rough ball
- Knead the ball on a clean counter for around 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Rest the dough for 30 minutes in the mixing bowl with a plate or cling film covering.
To Make the Filling:
- Put the spinach, chestnuts, and chives in a food processor and pulse to a fine chop.
- In a large fry pan or wok, heat the sunflower oil and add the ginger and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach mixture and cook for around 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add the sesame oil and chia seeds.
- Give a final stir and remove from the heat.
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add the Sriracha sauce, the tamari and apple cider vinegar. Stir for a minute.
- Stir in the peanuts.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to thin and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, remove the sauce from the heat and pour into a serving bowl.
- After the dough has rested, cut it into two, leaving one half in the bowl covered.
- Lightly flour a clean counter and roll the dough out thin.
- Depending on which dumpling fold you are using, cut the dough into squares or circles.
- Lay the wrappers on top of each other sprinkling a little cornflour between each.
- Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- Spoon a little over a teaspoon of spinach filling in the centre of the wrapper.
- Wet the top half only of the wrapper and fold the dumpling in half to form a triangle pressing the edges together to seal.
- Repeat until your mixture is finished.
- Quarter fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the bowl.
- Put the dumplings on a parchment-lined steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
- Serve with the peanut chili sauce, fresh chives, and black sesame seeds.