There is nothing better than fresh, homemade perogies. These warm potato-y pockets of happiness are given an extra dose of nutrition with cauliflower purée. Serve these delicious, buttery perogies with some homemade cashew cream.
Homemade Cauliflower Perogies [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, plus 3 tablespoons of water per egg)
- 2/3 cup almond milk
For the Cauliflower Purée:
- 1 cup steamed cauliflower, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
For the Filling:
- 3 cups steamed potatoes, cubed
- Cauliflower purée
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Start by putting the cauliflower and potatoes on to steam. While the vegetables steam, begin the dough.
- Mix the flour and salt in a medium sized bowl. Cut in the butter as you would for biscuits or pastry. Add in the flax egg and almond milk, and mix thoroughly. Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes and then set aside.
- Make a purée by adding the cauliflower, along with 2 teaspoons of vegan butter and 2 tablespoons of almond milk, to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mash the steamed potatoes, and then add the cauliflower purée, butter, and salt, mixing the ingredients together.
- Halve the dough and roll onto a lightly-floured surface until as thin as possible without tearing the dough. Using a biscuit cutter, or large glass cut out circles of dough.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling into each circle depending on the size of the circles that are cut.
- Fill a small bowl with warm water and using a paint brush, or your fingers, spread a small amount of water around the edges of each circle. Then fold and press the edges together.
- Place perogies in a pot of boiling water a few at a time removing when they begin to float, about 3 minutes.
- Once they are boiled, transfer to a frying pan set on medium heat and fry in butter for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve.