Macadamia nuts are perfect for plant-based cheese making – they're soft, buttery, they taste mild enough where you can add a bunch of your favorite flavorings! Enjoy this sophisticated nut cheese with your favorite crackers, as part of a vegan cheese board.
Herbed Macadamia Nut Cheese [Vegan]
- 2-3 digestive enzyme capsules
- 1 1/2 cups raw macadamia nuts (soaked overnight and rinsed)
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Pink Himalayan rock salt
- Ground black pepper
- Chili flakes
- Mixed herbs
- Fresh herbs (of your choice, I added a bit of fresh basil and fresh rosemary), finely chopped
- Plastic cling wrap (for molding)
- First you’ll want to soak your macadamia nuts overnight. Rinse them thoroughly the next day.
- In a high-speed food processor, blitz the nuts until they are the texture in the photo below. Imagine crumbled feta cheese. You want them that kind of texture. Place the mixture into a glass or ceramic bowl, and crack open the digestive enzyme tablets over it. Mix thoroughly, and leave covered with a dish towel in a medium temperature room. Not cold, but not too warm. Leave overnight.
- Now it’s time to flavor your "cheese." Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, and you really can pick and choose what you like. If you are not much of a fan of chilli flakes, leave them out and add something else. I like the little spurts of heat they give. You can add all different types of herbs, and can even separate the plain mixture, and make different variations of flavor. This recipe is versatile, so you add what suits you.
- Once mixed you want to lay the mixture out onto the center of the cling wrap. Carefully fold the mixture into a sausage, ensuring it is tightly compacted. Twist each side until you create a tight, firm "cheese" sausage shape.
- Allow this to cool in the fridge for about and hour or two.
- Cut into slices and serve with gluten-free crackers.
- All Vegan Cheese
- Macadamia Nut
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1523 | Total Carbs: 36 g | Total Fat: 152 g | Total Protein: 24 g | Total Sodium: 50 g | Total Sugar: 9 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile