Seasoned with artichokes and crisp rye bread crumbs and capers, this pasta is an experience waiting to be had. The dressing is simple; sautéed artichokes, a bit of garlic, parsley, and capers for garnish. The crispy crumbs give a slightly salty aroma and crisp tone that makes the dish a little different from simple tagliatelle with artichokes.
Hemp Pasta With Artichokes and Bread Crumbs [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1.7 ounces hemp flour
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons water
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Artichoke and Bread Crumbs:
- 4 small artichokes
- Stale rye bread or any stale bread
- 4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Water or vegetable broth, as needed
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the flours. Add a pinch of salt, make a well in the center of the flour, and add water and oil.
- Knead the dough gradually, incorporating the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, for approximately 10 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, pulse the bread into crumbs. Add the capers and pulse again.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet and toast the crumbs until crispy. Set aside.
- Clean the artichokes by removing the outer leaves, peel the stalks with a vegetable peeler, and cut them from the base, but not entirely. Cut the tips off the artichokes and remove the hay inside. Cut the artichoke into thin slices and keep immersed in lemon water.
- Roll out the dough into sheets and cut the noodles.
- Finely chop the leaves of three sprigs of parsley.
- In a skillet, heat 3 cups of extra virgin olive oil with crushed garlic and fry the vegetables. Add salt and pepper and keep a high heat for a few minutes. Add a ladle of hot broth and cook until they are tender (add broth if necessary).
- Cook the noodles in boiling salted water. Add a cooking ladle of water in artichoke sauce, drain the pasta, toss with vegetables, and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately with a dribble of extra virgin olive oil a large pinch of crumbs with capers and hemp seeds.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Sounds really good except for all that oil :(