Would you love to surprise your friends and family with a healthy raw vegan appetizer that will tingle their taste buds? Try this Heirloom Tomato Pesto Stack! Heirloom tomatoes can literally brighten up any dish! Plus: tomatoes, basil & pine nuts are a match made in heaven… Don’t you think? If you like Italian flavors, you will love this appetizer!
Heirloom Tomato Pesto Stack [Vegan, Raw]
- 2 cups of fresh basil, pressed
- 1 cup of fresh parsley, pressed
- 1 cup of fresh spinach, pressed
- ¼ cup of pine nuts (or cashews)
- ¼ cup of sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons of sweet ‘Shiro’ miso
- 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt, or more to taste
- 2 large pinches of black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes of your choice, finely sliced
- ¼ small zucchini, finely sliced
- Fresh basil, to taste
- Place your fresh greens (basil, parsley & spinach) in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Pulse until finely ground.
- Add pine nuts, sunflower seeds, extra virgin olive oil, miso, nutritional yeast, salt and black pepper. Process again until you’ve got a creamy pesto. If you like your pesto to be even smoother, add more olive oil.
- Take a plate of your choice and start with a layer of tomato.
- Add a large teaspoon of pesto on top & spread it evenly.
- Add two slices of zucchini, then another layer of tomato, and top it with pesto again. Proceed until you’ve got a nice stack.
- Garnish with pine nuts & fresh basil to taste.
- Serve this Heirloom Tomato Pesto Stack with a simple side salad of seasonal greens & fresh herbs: arugula, red leaf lettuce, Romaine, dill… Season with a simple dressing of lemon juice, salt, black pepper & olive oil.
• For extra flavor, add fresh basil on top of the pesto in between each layer. • This pesto will stay fresh for at least 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. • You can easily prepare this pesto in advance, but only assemble the tomato stack right before serving. This way, your tomato will stay sweet & juicy!