Serve this hearty soup with with greens, baked sweet potatoes, squash or brown rice and you’ll have a perfect meal packed with nutrition. But you’ll be more impressed with the robust flavor than you might be with the health benefits. We’re talking savory, subtly smoky with umami taste from the mushrooms and nutritional yeast. Get ready for a hearty, satisfying soup that defies even the iciest, toe numbing nights
Hearty Two-Lentil Soup With Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Several generous grinds fresh black pepper
- 2 grinds pink salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/4 cup small red lentils
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 package Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in olive oil with a grind of pink salt for about one minute.
- Add the garlic, cumin, pepper and salt and saute for another minute.
- Add the green lentils, bay leaves and vegetable broth. Cover the pot and bring to a boil (you’ll want to remain around medium heat but still a rolling boil. Make sure the heat’s not up to the boil-over range!) Stir occasionally for about 20 minutes, until the lentils have softened a bit.
- Lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add red lentils, carrots and mushrooms. Continue simmering. The soup will be done in 5-10 mins so check carrots and lentils for done-ness after 5 minutes. The red lentils should fall apart, but the green ones should just soften.
- Add nutritional yeast, stir and if you have the patience, let the soup sit for about 10 minutes for flavor-melding potential. But if that aroma has you drooling, dig right in.