Hearty Purple Potato Stew [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small onions or 1 large, chopped
- 3 purple potatoes (approximately 6 cups), cut into small bite-sized cubes
- 4 cups button mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts (64 ounces) Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) Diced Tomatoes Fire Roasted
- 1 can (25 ounces) Kidney Beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 3/8 teaspoons sea salt, divided into 2 teaspoons plus 3 - 1/8 pinches
- 1 3/16 teaspoons pepper, divided into 1 teaspoon plus 3 – 1/16 pinches
- Avocado, sliced (optional but recommended for serving)
- To a large soup pot, over medium heat add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add onions and a pinch of salt (1/8 teaspoon) and pepper (1/16 teaspoon). It is important to season the soup as you go to build flavor. Sauté and stir occasionally for 4 minutes.
- Next add the purple potatoes and a pinch of salt (1/8 teaspoon) and pepper (1/16 teaspoon), sauté stirring occasionally for 6 more minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and another pinch of salt (1/8 teaspoon) and pepper (1/16 teaspoon). Sauté and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 1 more minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, the can of diced tomatoes, the kidney beans, thyme, chili powder, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Stir soup and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 35 minutes until potatoes are tender, stirring about every 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with sliced avocado. Refrigerate leftovers.