Happy 2020! We’re kicking off the new year with a hearty, comforting stew that is perfect for meal prepping. Packed with fiber and protein -super satiating.
Hearty Mung Bean and Lentil Stew [Vegan]
- 1 cups of mung beans
- 1 cup of green lentils
- 6 cups of veggie broth
- 2-3 cups of water (as needed)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion – chopped
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Olive oil
- 2 cups of frozen spinach
- Into a larger Dutch oven, over medium heat, add your broth, mung beans and lentils. Cook uncovered for 40 minutes total. Every 10-12 minutes check and add water as needed. I added about 3 cups additionally. I wanted the soup to be more stew-like so closer to the end of cooking, I added less water.
- While that’s cooking, add a drizzle of olive oil to a sauté pan and heat oven medium flame. Once hot add your onion and cook 4-6 minutes. Once golden, add your garlic and cook 2 additional minutes. Once done, turn off and add to your soup mixture once its done cooking (40 minutes).
- After the 40 minutes, add your onions/garlic, coconut milk, paste and give that a good stir. Once the paste is blended well – add your frozen spinach and stir. I allowed that to cook for about 10 minutes. Taste and add salt/pepper. Serve immediately and leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freezing is also an option.
- Serve over brown rice with crusty bread accompaniment. It is the perfect hearty meal.