Happy 2020! We’re kicking off the new year with a hearty, comforting stew that is perfect for meal prepping. Packed with fiber and protein -super satiating.
Hearty Mung Bean and Lentil Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Hearty Mung Bean and Lentil Stew [Vegan]
- 1 cups of mung beans
- 1 cup of green lentils
- 6 cups of veggie broth
- 2-3 cups of water (as needed)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion – chopped
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Olive oil
- 2 cups of frozen spinach
How to Prepare Hearty Mung Bean and Lentil Stew [Vegan]
- Into a larger Dutch oven, over medium heat, add your broth, mung beans and lentils. Cook uncovered for 40 minutes total. Every 10-12 minutes check and add water as needed. I added about 3 cups additionally. I wanted the soup to be more stew-like so closer to the end of cooking, I added less water.
- While that’s cooking, add a drizzle of olive oil to a sauté pan and heat oven medium flame. Once hot add your onion and cook 4-6 minutes. Once golden, add your garlic and cook 2 additional minutes. Once done, turn off and add to your soup mixture once its done cooking (40 minutes).
- After the 40 minutes, add your onions/garlic, coconut milk, paste and give that a good stir. Once the paste is blended well – add your frozen spinach and stir. I allowed that to cook for about 10 minutes. Taste and add salt/pepper. Serve immediately and leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freezing is also an option.
- Serve over brown rice with crusty bread accompaniment. It is the perfect hearty meal.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.