Here's a granola bar that's reminiscent of Almond Joys. These very moist, cake-like vegan bars will have you wondering if you're eating something unhealthy, but these are definitely heart-healthy (and heart-shaped). They are even yummier the next day.
Almond Coconut Granola Bars [Vegan]
- 2 cups quick old fashioned oats (not instant)
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ -1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp date paste
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup mixed raisins and cranberries (you can use any combination of dried fruit you would like here)
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (depending how chocolatey you want them)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan heat on low; almond butter, applesauce, almond milk, date paste, cinnamon, cocoa powder, almond and vanilla extract. Stir gently until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix; almonds, oats, coconut, chopped almonds, raisins and cranberries. Fold in the almond butter mixture. Place cookie cutter on parchment lined baking sheet and spoon batter into cookie cutter filling halfway. Press down firmly with your fingers. Gently lift the cookie cutter away from the granola and press down around inside edges to help keep its shape. Reform granola hearts with your fingers if necessary and repeat (I was able to make 12 hearts).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before eating. These can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.