These homemade crisps are a nice change from the store-bought kind. Made with three different types of seeds, spelt flour and rolled oats, they’re good for you and are high in fiber. To make these crisps you don’t need a dehydrator, just a basic oven, a rolling pin and a baking sheet. They taste great alone or you can enjoy them with dips, soups or as hors d’oeuvres topped up with your favorite savory foods.
Healthy Spelt, Oats, Chia and Flax Seed Crisps [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup flax powder ( I use a small coffee grinder to grind the flax seeds)
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, dry or fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- Mix together in a bowl the flax powder, spelt flour, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds.
- Add the cup of warm water and mix with a fork. Let this sit to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Add the rolled oats, vegetable oil, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork until well combined
- Form a ball with the mixture and put it on a parchment paper. Roll it out thin with a rolling pin. The edges will be irregular but that is fine.
- Transfer the mixture with the parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake in 350°F preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Take out and flip the mixture on the other side and remove parchment paper. Slice with a knife to make individual crisps.
- Put back in oven and bake for 10 minutes more.
- When done and the edges are golden, turn off the oven heat and keep the crisps in the oven with the door shut for another 20 minutes to dehydrate.
- Take out and cool. Store in a covered container.