Put mac and cheese back on the menu! This healthy mac and cheese recipe delivers comfort food goodness without all the heaviness. The creamy cheese sauce is made with a base of potatoes and carrots and made cheesy through the awesome power of spices!
Healthy Mac n Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups peeled, cubed potato
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Water for boiling
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, coconut oil or your favorite oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 4 teaspoons mustard (Dijon or brown work well)
- 1 teaspoon lower sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 8 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 2 cups frozen peas or your favorite vegetables (optional)
- Combine the potato and carrot in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and transfer to a food processor or power blender.
- Add all the other ingredients to the food processor and process for about 2 minutes, or until totally smooth.
- Cook 8 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni according to the package in a large pot. If adding vegetables, cook/heat through as desired. Drain the macaroni and return to the pot. Stir in the vegetables and the sauce. Serve hot.
Makes 6 cups.
- Cheesy Recipes