Channa or chole masala is a popular vegetarian dish throughout Northern India. This channa or chole masala is very healthy, nutritious, delicious, and easy to make. Chickpeas and tomatoes are simmered with a mixture of garlic, ginger, onion, and traditional Indian spices like cumin, garam masala, coriander, and turmeric.
Healthy Chana Masala [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 2 medium garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or channa masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook until the onions have softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- When the onions have softened, add tomato puree and all the spices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 5-6 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the chickpeas and water. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the flavors have mixed and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the chana masala with rice, naan, or chapatis.
Per Serving: Calories: 240 | Carbs: 32 g | Fat: 9 g | Protein: 9 g | Sodium: 58 mg | Sugar: 7 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile