This simple dish of fresh bok choy and fried tofu stir-fried in a thick, flavorful sauce is perhaps one of the most popular Asian vegetable dishes. The deeply flavorful sauce is made from soy sauce, vegetable broth, a dash of sugar for sweetness, and cornstarch to make it thick. Crispy fried tofu and stir-fried bok choy are combined with aromatic ginger, shallot, and garlic, then cooked in the sauce. A splash of vegan fish sauce finishes off this simple dish, adding distinct flavor.
Healthier Restaurant-Style Chinese Bok Choy and Tofu [Vegan]
- 2 bunches bok choy, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 small blocks fried tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- Vegan fish sauce or sea salt
- Ground white pepper
- Sesame oil
- In a bowl combine together soy sauce, sugar, vegetable stock, and cornstarch. Mix well then set aside.
- Place wok in stove top over high heat, add oil then gently pan fry the tofu. Remove tofu then set it aside.
- Add and sauté shallot, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the tofu back together with the bok choy, stir fry for 30 seconds on high heat.
- Pour the prepared sauce, bring it to a boil and let it thicken.
- Drizzle some sesame oil on top, season with vegan fish sauce and ground white pepper, then serve.