Now you can fire up the ol’ grill and throw some tofu dogs or veggie burgers on there. But if you want something different, something that brings a little bit of paradise to your backyard, you’ll want to give these kabobs a try. They’re delicious, pretty healthy, and they’re on a stick. What could be better? Here is a fairly traditional mix of peppers and onions, but there's some pineapple and a sweet glaze to bring in a bit of that island feel.
Hawaiian Seitan Skewers [Vegan]
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt
For the Kabob:
- 3 cups chicken-flavored seitan, cubed
- 4 large peppers (2 green, 2 red), cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups pineapple, cubed
- Mix glaze ingredients in small mixing bowl.
- Place seitan, vegetables, pineapple onto skewers until only about 2 inches are showing at top and bottom.
- Brush glaze onto skewer ingredients, coating completely.
- Cook skewers on grill for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the ingredients begin to brown.