Healthy fries are the best fries. In this recipe, sweet potatoes are cut into wedges, baked until delightfully crispy, and then tossed in a zesty mixture of tomato and Harissa. Sweet, spicy, and oh so very good.
Harissa Sweet Potato Fries With BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
For the Harissa Fries:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 teaspoons Harissa
- Salt, to taste
For the BBQ sauce:
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- A pinch of curry powder
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- A dash of tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for roasting the onion
To Make the BBQ sauce:
- Preheat oven to 390°F, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the tomatoes for about 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet. When oil is hot, add the onion and roast for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- When tomatoes are roasted, let them cool for around 10 minutes, then transfer to a blender or food processor. Add the garlic, tabasco, agave or maple, onion, curry, cider, and tomato paste.
- Pulse and blend into a really smooth and silky sauce.
To Make the Harissa Fries:
- Preheat oven to 390°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into fries.
- Add to a bowl, mix with the Harissa and salt.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, depending on how thick you cut them.