This tofu is marinated in tikka masala, which is basically a spice blend made with ground cumin, garam masala, red chili powder, salt, and pepper. The tofu and veggies are marinated in coconut yogurt, the tikka spice blend, oil, and some lemon juice for at least 30 minutes. They are then threaded on a skewer and grilled until cooked through and charred. These kebabs are easy, smoky, and absolutely delicious. They are also great to serve as a light meal over rice or quinoa (or any other grain) pilaf.
Grilled Tofu Tikka Kebabs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tikka Masala:
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or curry powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu, drained and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 Baby Bella mushroom, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
Combine all the ingredients for tikka masala in a large mixing bowl. Add the tofu, peppers, and onions. Mix well, cover, and set aside for at least 30 minutes and for up to 2 hours.
Soak the skewers in water for 20-30 minutes.
Thread the marinated tofu and veggies on to the skewers.
Heat the grill on medium heat. Lightly grease it with cooking spray. Grill the skewers until nicely grilled on all sides. Serve hot.
Don’t forget to soak wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes to avoid burning.