This grilled eggplant makes a delicious light option for lunch, dinner, or side dish. Eggplant slices are seasoned with only salt and then grilled until tender — the real flavor comes from the easy lemon basil dressing. The flavors compliment each other superbly. Open to other possibilities such as being wrapped up and stuffed with your favorite fillings, like cashew ricotta.
Grilled Eggplant With Lemon Basil Drizzle [Vegan]
To Make the Eggplant:
- 1 large eggplant, rinsed and thinly sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing the eggplant
- Himalayan rock salt, to taste
For the Lemon Basil Drizzle:
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons rice malt syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Side Salad:
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1-2 beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- Mung bean sprouts
- Lightly brush your grill pan with a little bit of olive oil and preheat.
- Wash and slice the eggplant. Lay out on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Sprinkle salt over each slice and leave for a couple of minutes. This will draw out any moisture in the eggplant. Wipe away any moisture with paper towel. Repeat on the other side of each slice.
- Brush each slice of eggplant with a little olive oil.
- Grill for approximately 5-8 minutes on each side over medium heat, until a char begins to form and it has cooked through. Take note of the charred grill lines,
- Remove and keep warm.
- Place all drizzle ingredients into a blender and pulse until combined.
- Assemble the side salad, serve the eggplant strips and pour over the lemon basil drizzle.