Indian cuisine is my favorite of all time. There are always plenty of plant-based dishes to choose from and I love how they turn vegetables and legumes into the most delicious dishes by adding colorful spices and herbs. This Green Lentil Salad with Spiced Carrots is based on a classic French dish but I changed a thing or two and infused it with Indian flavors. It makes a perfect light lunch or a tasty side dish.
Green Lentil Salad With Spiced Carrots [Vegan]
For the Spiced Carrots:
- 2 large carrots, cut into long thin strips with a vegetable peeler/mandolin
- 1 small handful of raisins, roughly chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Green Lentil Salad:
- 4 small heads of Romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 1 cup of green lentils, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
- 2 stalks of spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 small handfuls of fresh parsley
- 2 small handfuls of fresh mint
- 2 small handfuls of fresh cilantro (optional)
To Make the Spiced Carrots:
- Turn your carrots into long strips using a vegetable peeler or mandolin. Put them in a mixing bowl. You can choose to grate, shred or spiralize your carrots too, but I prefer a crunchier texture in this salad.
- Roughly chop the raisins and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Take a glass jar and add lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, maple syrup, cumin, garam masala, salt, and black pepper to taste. Close the lid and shake well.
- Add the dressing to the mixing bowl and stir well. Set aside so the carrots and raisins can soak up all the flavors.
To Make the Green Lentil Salad:
- Combine Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, green lentils, spring onion, parsley, mint, and cilantro in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the spiced carrots and stir well. Bon appétit!