I brought this dish to my mom’s very first vegetarian Thanksgiving and received the ultimate compliment from my little brother: “I didn’t like green beans until I had this pizza.” You can prepare the topping and crust ahead of time - but wait to assemble them until guests arrive or until you’re at your final cooking destination.
Green Bean Casserole Pizza [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Green Bean Casserole Pizza [Vegan]
- 1 pre-made pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 pound White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- 3/4 cups fried onion pieces, plus more for topping
How to Prepare Green Bean Casserole Pizza [Vegan]
- Pre-cook crust in a 450°F oven for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to boil. Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms start to give up some liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and nutmeg and cook 1-2 more minutes. Add flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and cook until bubbling.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the soy yogurt. Cook until the mixture thickens, occasionally stirring, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup of fried onions and the green beans. Spread over prepared pizza crust and bake 10-15 minutes until crust is golden and toppings are hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with more fried onions to taste.
If you don't have plain, unsweetened soy yogurt, pulse 1 cup (8 ounces) of silken tofu together with 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a food processor.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.