This perfumed orange cake is the perfect way to finish off a warm summer evening. the light bite of citrus from the orange peels is offset by the orange flesh and clove to make a flavorful experience that is refined and simple all at the same time. This cake is best served cold, with a black cup of coffee along side it.
Greek Orange Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups self-rising flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup agave syrup
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 10.2 ounces orange flesh
- 2 oranges, zested
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, clove powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 orange, zested
- In a bowl combine flour with semolina, clove, and cinnamon.
- In a blender pulse the orange flesh.
- In another bowl combine oil with agave syrup and the orange flesh.
- Combine baking soda with orange juice and stir the mixture until it rises.
- Pour it in the wet ingredients and mix it well.
- Combine the wet with the dry ingredients and mix it until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a 9 1/2-inchround pan.
- Bake the pie in preheated oven at 356°F for about 50 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the syrup. Put all the ingredients in a pot and let them come to a boil.
- After 5 minutes remove it from heat and pour the hot syrup into the cold pie. Allow the cake to cool completely before serving it.