This carrot cake is wonderfully moist, exceptionally flavorful, and flat out delicious. The secret to this cake's perfumed majesty is that the carrots are boiled with the spices before being added to the dough, this process imbues them with extra flavor.
Greek Carrot Cake [Vegan]
For the Carrots:
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 8 whole cloves
- Save 1 cup cooking liquid
For the Cake:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup cooking liquid
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds ground or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Walnuts (optional)
- Golden raisins (optional)
- Chop the carrots into smallish pieces and add them to a small pot with the orange juice, water, cinnamon stick, and cloves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low simmer.
- Cook this, uncovered, for 20 minutes. The carrot pieces should be fork-tender, not hard and not mushy.
- Set them aside to cool in the cooking liquid.
- Drain the carrots and save the liquid.
- Add the carrots to a food processor and pulse them 2 or 3 times.
- Scrape down the sides, add 1/3 cup cooking liquid, and pulse them 2 more times.
- Scrape down the sides and set this aside.
- In medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set this aside.
- In a large bowl, add 1/2 cup of cooking liquid, sugar, and molasses.
- Whisk them until they're combined.
- Add your spices and whisk the mixture.
- Add your oil and whisk the mixture.
- Add the carrots and stir them in completely.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix them completely.
- Stir in golden raisins and/or nuts at this time if you’re including them.
- Scoop out batter into bundt pan and press it down into the mold so the top is even. Bake it at 350°F for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow it to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn the cake out and continue to cool it or serve it immediately.