These tasty Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Cornbread Squares started out as regular cornbread, but ended up being a delicious, dense, dessert-style cornbread full of pumpkin spice flavor. Just so you’ll know what to expect…they don’t have a crumbly texture like cornbread but more dense and cake-like. And although I made these to go with the vegan chili I made for dinner, they just didn’t go with it because they are actually more on the sweet side and tasted more like a dessert. But I especially like this recipe because it’s gluten-free, which means I can enjoy it with my family. If you are looking for a vegan and/or gluten-free cornbread recipe without the pumpkin, try my Vegan Cornbread or my Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Cornbread recipe. Not only do traditional cornbread recipes contain white flour, but they are full of dairy. Here are the typical ingredients in a traditional cornbread recipe: 1/2 CUP BUTTER, 2/3 CUP WHITE SUGAR, 2 EGGS, 1 CUP BUTTERMILK, 1 CUP CORNMEAL and 1 CUP ALL-PURPOSE (WHITE) FLOUR.
Pumpkin Cornbread Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup organic non-GMO cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free blend (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Flour)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup homemade almond milk
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil (melted/liquid)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 4 tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (non-aluminum)
- 1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic nutmeg powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon organic clove powder
- Put all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and stir until well combined (avoid overmixing).
- Pour mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes or until cooked all the way through and golden on top.
- Cool for 10 - 15 minutes before serving.