Here's a plant-based, faux meat that's sure to be the basis for many vegan chicken recipes. From vegan chicken sandwiches to vegan chicken salad, this gluten-free vegan chicken alternative is sure to be a hit in your family. It has such a tasty flavor and the texture is perfect! You have to try it!
Gluten-Free ‘Chicken’ [Vegan]
- 1 “chicken” flavored bouillon cube
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup soy flour
- ¼ cup amaranth flour
- ¼ cup pea protein
- 2 Tbs. arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp. xanthan or guar gum
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 2 Tbs. grated carrot
- Set up a pot of boiling water with a steamer inserted. In a small saucepan, dissolve the bouillon cube in boiling water to make “chicken” broth. In a bowl, combine the rolled oats and 1/3 cup of broth. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes or until the broth is completely absorbed. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the soy flour, amaranth flour, pea protein, arrowroot, and xanthan or guar gum. Stir well to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the vegetable oil, nutritional yeast, flaxseed, seasoning, and 1/3 cup of broth. Mix well to combine. Add the cooked oatmeal to the wet ingredients and stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots. Using a rubber spatula, mix until you have a dough. Then wet your hand and knead the dough in the bowl until it feels smooth and holds together. If the dough feels too wet or loose, add more soy or amaranth flour. If the dough feels too dry, wet your hands and knead rather than adding water to the dough. You add less water this way. When you are happy with the consistency of the dough, let it rest for 10 minutes. It should be a bit sticky and not too dry.
- Divide the dough into 4 sections. Shape each section into the shape you want – round or oval patties, logs, etc. – if you are making patties, make them very thin as they will expand during the steaming process. Alternatively, you could shape the entire dough into a log to make a roast. Let them sit again for 5 minutes. Wrap each piece in foil and steam them for 20 minutes. Remove the packets from the steamer, let them cool and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. When you are ready to cook them, take them out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature. Prepare them however you want.
- Arrowroot Flour
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 953 | Total Carbs: 57 g | Total Fat: 60 g | Total Protein: 57 g | Total Sodium: 624 mg | Total Sugar: 3 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Am I missing something? Why does it say gluten free?
Since when are oats gluten free?
Since always: https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/do-oats-contain-gluten