Traditionally, poke bowl, a dish from Hawaiian cuisine, are made with raw fish and severed on some rice with an assortment of toppings such as edamame, fresh vegetables, and mangos. This recipe for ginger tempeh poke bowl is a great fish-free take on the traditional dish. It’s loaded with marinated tempeh, grilled pineapple, and served on a bed of sprouted brown rice. Not only is this dish healthy, it's also light enough to enjoy in summer!
Ginger Tempeh Poke Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Ginger Tempeh Poke Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 8-ouce package gluten-free tempeh
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other neutral cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 cup sprouted brown rice
- 8 slices pineapple
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon baby gingerLime and sesame seeds, for topping (optional)
How to Prepare Ginger Tempeh Poke Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- If your tempeh comes frozen, take it out of the refrigerator to defrost before you begin the recipe.
- Place your tempeh in a saucepan filled with about 3-4 inches of water and bring to boil. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the tempeh marinade.
- Combine soy sauce, avocado oil, lime juice, maple syrup, and grated ginger in a bowl and stir until combined.
- Remove tempeh from the saucepan, cut into cubes or triangles, and place covered in the marinade overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Once tempeh is marinated for log enough, grill it on the barbecue, or cook it in a saucepan over medium heat, about 2-3 minutes on each side. You can also put your pineapple on the grill at the same time, for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Cook your rice according to package directions.
- To assemble your bowls, place rice on the bottom, and top with tempeh, pineapple, edamame, avocado, cucumber, carrots, bean sprouts, and cilantro.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and squeeze some lime on top, if you desire.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.