These gingersnap cookies are both crunchy and delicious, and are perfect for any bake-off!
Ginger Snap Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup date sugar, coconut sugar or other minimally processed granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoons date or coconut sugar + 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine all wet ingredients together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to combine.
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the wet ingredients.
- Process until the mixture holds together as a sticky dough.
- Roll the dough into 1″ balls and place on the cookie sheet.
- Flatten each ball so that the cookies are about ¼” tall.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool COMPLETELY.
- Lower the oven temperature to 300° F.
- Bake again for 25 minutes (TIP: If you have a cooling rack, place the cookies on it to re-bake them, but put the rack in a pan that has low sides to make it easy to get into and out of the oven. The cookies will want to slide off, so be careful. This will help to dry out the bottoms of the cookies evenly).
- Remove and brush the tops with the maple syrup, then sprinkle the sugar/ginger powder on the tops.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
- The cookies will feel slightly soft in the center when you push on them. That’s okay. They will firm up the rest of the way when they cool again.