Yippee for whoopie pies! This classic sandwich dessert just got a lot more interesting. The cakey cookies are infused with ginger and cinnamon. Spread generously between them is a creamsicle-inspired buttercream icing that has plenty of zesty orange flavor.
Ginger Orange Whoopie Pies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Ginger Cookies:
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 flax eggs (4 tablespoons flax and 12 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup softened coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Orange Creamsicle Buttercream:
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a sheet pan with parchment or a silicon mat.
- Combine coconut flour, coconut sugar, salt, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the flax eggs, coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Once rested, use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop cookies onto the lined sheet pan. Flatten each cookie slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the cookies are golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven and remove cookies using a spatula (they tend to stick to the pan liners) and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream by creaming the butter using an electric mixer. Then, add the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and orange zest. Continue mixing until light and fluffy. If the buttercream is too liquidy or doesn't hold it's shape, add more sugar. If it is too stiff, add a little more milk.
- Place the buttercream in a piping bag and pipe a dollop of buttercream onto half the cookies. Sandwich the cookies together and garnish the the tops with a light sprinkle of ginger powder!