Nobody will be able to guess the secret to what makes these brownies so perfect. Kidney beans add a dense texture while just a hint of coffee balances everything out and keeps them from becoming too sweet. These fudgy kidney bean brownies are a dark chocolate lovers' dream!
Fudgy Kidney Bean Brownies [Vegan]
- 1 8-ounce can kidney beans
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 3 generous tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 3 flax "eggs" (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the kidney beans in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix the dairy-free margarine and sugar together until smooth. Stir in the flax eggs, coffee, and vanilla bean paste, followed by the kidney beans.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder to a separate bowl. Use a sieve to sift and add, bit by bit, to the kidney bean mix. Fold as you go, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Grease a large cake tin or tray and pour in the mixture. Place in the oven and bake for around 45 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool, then prepare a bowl placed over a pan with around 3cm deep simmering water (any deeper and you risk it getting too hot or bubbling up the side). Break up the dark chocolate, add to the bowl and stir until fully melted and smooth. Use a fork to drizzle over the top of the brownies.