Crisp pea shoots, nutty sunflower shoots, fresh French breakfast radishes, and ramps — the spring produce that eludes many of us. This simple salad is a fun way to show off your farmer's market (or foraging) haul. The ramps are fried in coconut butter to make them crisp around the edges, then tossed with the other greens and veggies with crunchy tortilla strips. A spicy, creamy, and sweet dressing made from almond butter, lemon juice, jalapeño pairs perfectly with all the fresh spring flavors at play.
Fried Ramps With French Breakfast Radishes and Spring Shoots [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 small bundle of French breakfast radishes (about 16 of them), cut lengthwise
- 2 cups of spring shoots of choice (this salad features pea shoots and sunflower shoots)
- 2 bundles of ramps (about 15-20 ramps), greens and all, roots removed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 heaping tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 of a thinly sliced jalapeño
- 1-2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut oil, for frying the ramps
- 3 gluten-free corn tortillas, cut into strips and toasted or fried
- Whisk together the lemon juice, almond butter, jalapeño, brown sugar, and celery seed. Let sit for about five minutes and then strain out the jalapeños. Add salt to taste.
- Melt a little coconut butter in a nice shiny pan over medium high heat. Add the ramps, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes.
- Toss the ramps together with the shoots and radishes.
- Divide among two plates, sprinkle with tortilla strips, and serve with dressing on the side.