These decadent fried mac and cheese balls are comfort food personified. The creamy, fiery jalapeño mac and cheese shaped into balls, coated in a flour and panko crust, and then fried until the balls become golden-brown orbs of deliciousness. Oh, and they are served with a zesty cheese sauce on the side.
Fried Mac and ‘Cheese’ Balls [Vegan]
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, on low heat, mix the cheese, flax milk, and Cajun seasoning.
- Whisk this constantly to remove all clumps.
- Keep the sauce warm until serving it.
For the Mac and Cheese Balls:
- Make the mac and cheese according to the directions. Be sure to omit bread crumbs and vegan chicken from the recipe.
- Place the mac and cheese in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- Once solidified, use an ice cream scoop and roll mac and cheese into six uniform balls.
- Cover them and place them in the freezer for 4-6 hours.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add enough oil to cover the balls at least half way.
- In three separate bowls, add flour, one and a half cups flax milk, and panko bread crumbs.
- Season panko bread crumbs with about a teaspoon of salt.
- Place frozen mac and cheese balls in the milk until fully submerged, then the flour, then the milk again, then bread crumb mixture. Make sure to coat every piece evenly and fully.
- Once the oil has reached between 360-375°F, place breaded mac and cheese into the oil and fry it until it's golden brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the ball from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drizzle with the cheese sauce and enjoy.