We can assure you that this vegan lentil burger is indeed foolproof. If you’re tired of mushy veggie burgers that fall apart, dry ones that taste like cardboard, or expensive store-bought ones with too many ingredients, then give this one a shot. You do need a food processor for this, but not much else. This protein-packed vegan lentil burger is made with lentils, brown rice, sweet potato, and onion; it's basically an entire meal in lentil burger form! They're so satisfying and nutritious!
Foolproof Mega Lentil Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 3/4 cups cooked brown, green, or black lentils
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup sweet potato, skins left on and chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or black pepper
- 3/4 -1 cup coarse cornmeal, as needed
- Ideally, pre-cook your rice and lentils and let cool. If you have some in the refrigerator as leftovers, even better (the drier they are the better). If not, cook them up, remove from heat and set aside. Preheat oven to 450°F and lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine onion, garlic, sweet potato, and walnuts. Process until finely chopped and uniform consistency. Add cooked rice and lentils and process once more, scraping down the sides as needed. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add ketchup or tomato paste, mustard, flax meal, salt, cayenne (or black pepper), and stir well.
- Add cornmeal until mixture is thick and you're able to easily form a patty in your hands. Make small palm-sized patties. You can make them larger, but the smaller ones bake up a little better and have less risk of breaking apart.
- Place formed patties on baking sheet, evenly spaced apart so they have room to cook and be flipped. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then carefully flip over. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until both sides are evenly browned and they have a nice crisp coating.
- Serve on bread, bun, lettuce wrap of choice, or simply crumble over a salad. Top with your favorite burger fixings and save any for later.