Have you ever enjoyed the Mediterranean delicacy that is falafel in the form of a burger? With this recipe you can! In this recipe, chickpeas and fava beans come together to create a succulent falafel patty that is then seasoned with fennel, cumin, and coriander seeds. Enjoy it in a burger bun, on top of a salad, or in a lettuce wrap.
Falafel Burger [Vegan]
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- 1/2 cup dry fava beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil
- Kale (optional)
- Tomato (optional)
- Grilled eggplant (optional)
- Cucumber (optional)
- Tahini sauce (optional)
- Soak the chickpeas and fava beans overnight in about 6-7 cups of cold water. Remove the skins from the fava beans and if you’re feeling ambitious do the same for the chickpeas. Transfer the chickpeas and fava beans to a food processor and blend until a thick, relatively coarse paste is formed. Transfer the mix to a bowl.
- Toast the spices in a dry pan until fragrant and lightly browned. Cool down the spices and blend in a blender or coffee grinder until finely ground. Add the cilantro, parsley, mint, spices, lemon juice, and olive oil to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add this mixture to the ground chickpeas/fava beans and mix to combine. Mix in the salt and pepper and adjust seasoning to taste. Mix in the bread crumbs and baking powder.
- Form patties from the mixture and pan fry at medium heat until golden brown on both sides. You can also bake them as per your preferences. Serve on a bun with your kale, tomato, grilled eggplant, cucumber, and tahini sauce, or your desired toppings.