We know… patatas bravas is normally a fried potato dish. This is a spin on the heavy, fried, unhealthy classic version. This recipe is fresher and brighter yet just as satisfying! Go ahead, fry or bake the potatoes and toss the sauce through. Because seriously, who doesn’t love potato salad? And no eggs means you can take this to picnics and have a light, tangy, spicy alternative that won’t go toxic in the sun.
Ensalada con Patatas Bravas: Spanish Potato Salad [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Potato Salad:
- 2 pounds and 3 ounces of Kipfler potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into strips
- 2 large tomatoes, seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
- 11.5 ounces cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Small handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons avjar (red bell pepper relish)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tomato, seeds removed
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add the salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes can be just pierced through with a knife. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- To make the bravas dressing, blend all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender. With motor running, slowly add the oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients to the potatoes and pour over enough dressing to coat really well. The potatoes will soak up quite a lot of the dressing, so add a little more than you think it needs. Check and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
Recipes excerpted with permission from Smith & Daughters: A Cookbook (that happens to be vegan) by Shannon Martinez and Mo Wyse, published by Hardie Grant Books March 2017, RRP $35.00 hardcover. Smith & Daughters is an award-winning vegan restaurant in Melbourne, Australia, twice voted Time Out People’s Choice Restaurant of the Year (2016 and 2014). https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Daughters-Cookbook-Happens-Vegan/dp/1743792077/?tag=onegrepla-20