Step into the kitchen with and enjoy this savory new breakfast sandwich. These bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich inspired sammies with are loaded to the max with flavor-packed goodness: creamy cashew cheese sauce, crispy coconut bacon, and a chickpea flour patty that tastes eggy. and they hold up nicely so you can take a nice, big bite without it falling apart. These are so filling and will keep you feeling satisfied well into your day. It is also very tasty without the bun, so try throwing it into a breakfast bowl with some sautéed greens.
‘Eggy’ Breakfast Sandwich With Coconut Bacon [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tahini Lime Cashew Cheese Sauce and Spread:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tahini for gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
For the Coconut Bacon:
- 1 cup pure coconut flakes (large pieces)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- A sprinkle of black pepper
- A couple drops liquid smoke
For the 'Egg' Patties:
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 1/2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 vegan and gluten-free buns
- Hot sauce, if desired
To Make the Tahini Lime Cashew Cheese Sauce and Spread:
- Blend together and set aside.
To Make the Coconut Bacon:
- Lightly spray a non-stick skillet and toast the coconut flakes until nice and golden brown.
- Add the balance of the ingredients. Mix to coat. Cook for another couple minutes moving it around.
- Remove from heat, it will get crispier as it sets.
To Make the 'Egg' Patties:
- Blend or mix together. Lightly spray a non-stick skillet. Place four mason jar rounds or preferred shape (like a metal cookie cutter) down that have been generously greased first.
- Divide the batter between the rounds, filling about 1/2-3/4 way full, as they will grow as they cook. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until bubbles form throughout and the backside is golden.
- Flip cook for another 3-5 minutes or until golden and fluffy.
- Slice your bun in half.
- Spread the cashew cheese sauce on both sides.
- Place an "egg" patty inside.
- Cover with more cheese. Top with crispy coconut bacon, opt for even more cheese, and serve.
- Chickpea Flour