Fall and winter seasons are perfect for stew. Hearty, warm, and flavorful, this Mediterranean-inspired eggplant stew is made in the slow-cooker and provides plant-based comfort food for those cold fall and winter nights. Plus, this recipe has a bonus boost of Vitamin C, is high in dietary fiber, and low in fat!
Eggplant Chickpea Stew With Polenta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 large eggplants, cut into approximately 1-inch chunks
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large can (28-ounce) roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cornmeal (dry polenta)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs vegan butter
- Place all stew ingredients in a slow cooker, and stir thoroughly.
- Set slow cooker on low and leave for 8 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.
- After stew has finished cooking, turn slow cooker down to warm and begin cooking polenta.
- In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups of vegetable broth to a boil.
- Slowly add polenta to pan and stir gently. Add 2 tsp salt and bring back to boil.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until polenta is thick and tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter replacement. Let stand approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve stew hot over a bed of polenta.
If you want your polenta to be extra creamy, try adding a cup of shredded non-dairy cheese!
- Beans - All
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 1243mg; Potassium: 563mg; Total Carbohydrates: 99g; Dietary Fiber 15g; Sugars 13g; Protein 14g; Vitamin A: 18%; Vitamin C: 86%; Calcium: 9%; Iron: 11%. Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile