These delicious, filling, and healthy quesadillas are fully plant-based and use no vegan cheese substitutes. To make them even healthier, use whole-grain or sprouted tortillas.
Easy Veggie-Loaded Quesadillas [Vegan]
- 2 large tortillas (whole-grain preferred, but you can use any kind on hand)
- 1 cup hummus, homemade or store-bought
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans
For the Vegetable Stuffing:
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- Up to 2 cups of assorted chopped vegetables - I used carrots, red bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable broth, for sauteeing the vegetables
For the Guacamole:
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped scallions or red onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped roma tomato (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
To Make the Quesadillas:
- Prepare refried beans and hummus (if making homemade), set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick pan on medium, add 1-2 Tbsp of veggie broth. When the broth gets bubbly, add chopped onions, sautee 3-4 min until translucent. You may need to add more broth to prevent onions from sticking to the pan.
- Add all of the chopped vegetables, sautee 2-3 min more until they begin to look cooked. Stir in cumin and chili powder, set aside. Do not add salt - hummus and refried beans already have plenty.
- To assemble the quesadillas: put a tortilla on a plate. Spread one half of it with about 1/2 cup of hummus, and the other half with 3/4 cup of refried beans. Top refried beans with sauteed vegetables.
- Fold the hummus part of the tortilla over the refried beans and veggies, press lightly to make sure everything sticks together.
- Grill the assembled quesadillas on an open-flame grill over medium heat for 2-3 min per side (more or less, depending how hot your grill gets). Check often to avoid burning. Alternatively, grill them in a dry nonstick pan on stovetop, on a griddle, or use a panini press.
To Make the Guacamole:
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit. Mash with a fork, leaving some chunks if you like.
- Mix in cilantro, scallions, and lime juice then mash again.
- Stir in tomato chunks. Serve in ramekins along with the quesadillas.