While these cookies are slightly different in terms of ingredients, they are just as delicious. Most importantly, they are allergen-free! If made with vegan butter, they contain no dairy or eggs. However, they still melt in your mouth.
Easy Snickerdoodle Cookies [Vegan]
For the Snickerdoodles:
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tarter or 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- generous pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, at room temp
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons organic pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease with oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cream of tarter or baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, using a spoon, mix together the sugar and butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. I typically use a hand held blender or stand mixer. Then add the vanilla and applesauce, mix to combine. Add flour mixture and stir just until flour is incorporated. The dough should be firm and thick. If you find it too soft, you can put it in the refrigerator to chill for a bit.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon for rolling. Roll dough into about 1 inch balls. To keep them uniform, use either a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon or 1 tablespoon scooper.
- Place cinnamon sugar rolled balls on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between balls. Bake in center of the oven for 8 – 9 minutes. For a little crispier cookie, bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes on the pan, they may be too soft just from the oven to move to a wire rack. Once cooled, enjoy!
- Store your cookies on the counter for up to 3 days. To extend their shelf life, store them in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.