These Easy Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes are a delicious flavor battle between two classic flavors—-pumpkin + chai. Together, however, they are even more PERFECT! Made with a soft, fluffy, + moist vegan base, these cupcakes are filled with bold pumpkin flavor and warm spices in every bite. Paired with a fluffy chai buttercream, these cupcakes are the epitome of comfort during the cooler months ahead. Completely oil-free. Gluten-Free option available.
Easy Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes [Vegan]
Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups Super fine cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (NOT Pie filling!)
- 3 tablespoons Agave
- 1/2 cup Almond milk + 1 tablespoon! (You can use your fave plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2- 3 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable shortening + 1/4 cup vegan butter (at room temp.)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chai spice mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan Heavy cream
For Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and prep your cupcake pan with liners + spray.
- In a measuring cup, add the Almond Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar, mixing until well combined and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Add the Milk-ACV mixture, vegan butter, pumpkin puree, Agave, and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, mixing until everything is well combined (and smooth) and no lumps are visible. DO NOT OVER-MIX!
- Scoop the batter into each cupcake liner (3/4 full) and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for the FIRST 5 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for another 14-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Once done, turn off oven and keep cupcakes inside with the oven door slightly open for about 2 minutes before taking them out.
- Let them cool COMPLETELY before frosting.
For Chai Buttercream:
- In a large bowl, add the powdered sugar and unsalted vegan butter together, beating until it looks ‘peas-like’. Beat in the salt, chai mix, vanilla, and heavy vegan cream until buttercream is creamy and fluffy. **NOTE: If buttercream is too ‘runny’, add additional powdered sugar (1 tablespoon at a time); if too thick, add additional vegan heavy cream (1 tablespoon at a time).**
- Add buttercream to a piping bag and pie onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with additional chai spice mix, if desired.
- Bon Appetit!